Yi Shen, Administrative Director
Governor's Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs
301 West Preston Street, Suite 1500
Baltimore, MD 21201
1-800-735-2258 (Maryland Relay)
On September 17, 2007, Governor Martin OíMalley signed Executive Order 01.01.2007.19, elevating the Governorís Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs to the Executive Department and placing it within the Governorís Office of Community Initiatives. The Governor also reconstituted the Commission and expanded its membership from 17 to 21 to better reflect the growth and diversity of the APA community.
Pursuant to the Executive Order, the Governorís Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs is charged with engaging the Asian Pacific American community in partnership with State government to promote their social, cultural, and business interests. Specifically, the duties and responsibilities of the Commission are to:
- Serve as an advisory body to the Governor and agencies within the Executive Department on matters relating to the Asian Pacific American population of Maryland, including matters relating to economic, workforce, and business development;
- Identify needs or problems affecting Asian Pacific Americans, and develop appropriate responses and programs;
- Conduct outreach to Asian Pacific American groups and communities in the State, and communicate information to them concerning public and private programs that are beneficial to their interests;
- Review and comment on any proposed federal, State, or local legislation, regulations, policies, or programs that affect the Asian Pacific American population of Maryland;
- Generally comment and make appropriate recommendations on matters affecting the health, safety and welfare of the Asian Pacific American population of Maryland
For a complete list of Commissioners, Click Here!
To view the PDF of the Commission's Executive Order, Click Here!